Thursday, January 04, 2007

My mom's visit

It has been hectic. 29 Jan 2006 I picked up my mom at the airport (she flew from San Antonio via Newark
fullsize
) about 14:30....she had been traveling since 6AM. But no rest for the not-so-wicked....instead of driving her home, I drove her to Batavia for the placement rehearsal (our first time on the real stage) of the Nutcracker ballet.

Having to pick my mom up made me a bit late, so Cameron and Carla were already rehearsing
fullsize
The only thing that I really got to accomplish, practise-wise, that day, is a chance to practice walking up to take our bows
fullsize
fullsize
fullsize

We had a dinner at the Red Osier. If you've heard anything good about the place, it is true. Everything was wonderful (except the lemonade), and it was pricy but not unreasonable.

Then we stopped at home to prepare for karaoke night. I couldn't convince Jocelyn to go, and although my mom made the supreme sacrifice of going to see me
fullsize
she was not much more fun than Jocelyn, mostly interested in when she could go home. Can't blame her...she was pretty tired...but it would have been the same even if she were in top form. Even my signature move in "Tubthumping"
fullsize
did not win her over. She did, however, capture evidence of yet-another-pants-related-mishap in one of those pictures only a mother could shoot:
fullsize

The next day: dress rehearsal. First things first: we were supposed to arrive already wearing makeup, courtesy of my wife
fullsize
Either (1) I just am so good looking that make-up cannot possibly improve on me, (2) I look even more hideous without the make-up, or (3) doing guy's makeup is not Jocelyn's forte. I would like to believe (1), but I am hoping (3) is the most likely explanation. Still, we were a fine-looking group in costume:
fullsize
fullsize
Cameron kept jeans over the tights until the moment of truth, much to the dismay of the ladies present. Once the jeans came off, he was magnificent
fullsize
fullsize
but not always easy to recognize
fullsize
(yes, that is him in the nutcracker mask).

The day after it was for real.

No comments: